Friday, May 02, 2008

I Believe in Love

Love is the foundation that everything else is built on. It is what keeps us together, fight after fight, misunderstanding after misunderstanding, hurt after hurt. It is the forgiveness that is given when we have wronged. It is the tears, the pain, the heartache. It is what makes you drop to your knees, stop breathing, and stops your heart.

We look at love as a beautiful thing. And it is. But it's beauty is not only those of wildflowers. It is not just passion and physical attraction. It is not just the ease of fitting two hands together. It isn't just in the smile that automatically comes when a name is mentioned, or a sigh when a memory is evoked. It is not just the wonderment of the new or the electrical excitement of the beginning. It is not just hearts and blood and sweat. It is so much more.

We place so much pressure on love - to evoke only happiness. To only cause joy. But to understand, experience and take true pleasure in that joy of love - you must, must, must feel the brutal pain of love. Your heart must break, or almost break. Because sometime the joy is so intense, it hurts. And it isn't until you can feel TRUE loss of someone, that you truly understand what love is. When people say they would lay down their life for love - it is not just words. There is truth in that.

And so, everytime I fight, everytime I get exasperated in frustration, everytime we fail to understand each other, and I want to rip out my eyeballs I say "THIS... THIS IS LOVE! And I hold onto that feeling and I remember what it means to love. Cherish the bad times, because when you finally get to a place where you truly understand each other - and you are on the easy side of love - remember what it took to get there. The road is long and winding, sometimes dark and sometimes you even feel alone. But the journey, the adventure, the rollercoaster that you are on - is what is the most important. You already have your prize... you just haven't figured out how to enjoy it.

I believe in love. I believe in him. And I believe in us.

1 comment:

Alpha said...

that is beautiful and oh so true.
i admit that i get caught up in what love should be. that it always should give us this happy dance on your tippy toes feeling all the time.

but it's true even when it comes to my own family and to my husband, i get frustrated, i get mad, get hurt but the bottom line is we're still all there for each other.